Monday, January 23, 2012

Big Sky Blue & The Bobber


This entry covers a couple of projects.

#1 is to convert an unmarked bobber caboose to a unique Great Northern caboose.

#2 is to repaint a diesel currently letter as a demonstrator.  This will be in the Great Northern big sky blue paint scheme and will also be one of a kind.

Before:




First up was The Bobber - a 4 wheel "vintage" caboose that is pulled behind my GN 0-6-0 steam engine.  To start the project, I first separated the body from the frame.   I then added 2 additional ounces of weight to the floor.


I then painted the center of the body white - for visual interest and as a background for the decals to stand out.  I painted the door on each end white as well.


Once the paint dried enough to handle the shell I reattached it to the frame.  I used gray to add detail to the trucks, smokejack and hand rails on the sides and ends


Finally I added the decals, let them set and sprayed the car with Dullcoat to seal the paint and decals.


Next I went to work on the Big Sky Blue GN Diesel

This is a Baldwin sharknose diesel in the demonstrator paint scheme.

To change it to the GN big sky blue paint scheme, I first painted the top of the diesel down to the bottom of the side grills (and across the top of the nose) with Engine Gray.



I then painted the rest of the body down to the fuel tanks white so the blue has a good neutral undercoat.



I then added Blue Sky Blue to the bottom 1/2 of the shell and in a V shape beneath the white stripe on the nose.  After that was done I painted the fuel tanks and visible underframe in the same Engine Gray.



Decals and a coat of Gloss sealer completed the project.



Next time:  Thneed Factory Detailing

No comments:

Post a Comment